When the Sippican Hotel became a gathering place for wealthy summer residents in the 1880’s some saw it as the beginning of a golden age of Marion, while others saw it as the opposite.

In 1794, the Sippican hotel began as a modest farmhouse by the name of the Old Tavern. First run and created by Joseph Luce, it was moderately successful and ran for almost 90 years. In 1862, the house was remodeled by prolific Mattapoisett architect Samuel K. Easton. Although this was a draw for visitors, some Marion’s residents disapproved of the move which opened Marion up to the outside world.
Then in 1882, the hotel was sold to K.W Ripley, who transformed it from the Bay view house to the Sippican Hotel. Renovations included water and electricity to the Sippican Hotel, distinguishing it from area hotels with its grandeur and early technology. A total renovation in 1907 added a new wing, expanded it to a total of 350 rooms to accommodate around 200 overnight guests. Eyebrows raised again, as the preservation of Marion as a quaint seaside town was of utmost importance. In 1916 the hotel was sold to Henry Tiller, who was the last owner of the Sippican Hotel whilst it was still operating as a hotel. While he did not make any major renovations, the next owners began partial demolitions with a goal to transform the hotel into a tavern by 1931.
When Joseph Luce built the building in 1794 it boasted a series of gorgeous fireplaces which remained a selling piece throughout the rest of the hotel’s run. The Sippican hotel advertised its spacious and well decorated rooms, often highlighting its original fireplaces. However, this advertising campaign was a bit exaggerated: most of the fireplaces had been added during renovations. Besides beautiful fireplaces, the hotel offered a variety of rooms and en suites, with private baths added during the 1907 renovations. The hotel’s well system supplied baths and toilets for the very best rooms, as well as the shared baths for more basic accommodations. Patrons also enjoyed the large dining room, casino, parlour, gathering spaces, piers and more. The 1907 renovations also brought Marion’s very first telephone line, which established the Sippican Hotel as a popular destination for businessmen.

SippicanHotelMenu
In the 19th century, prices for a basic room at the Sippican Hotel started at $2 a night. By 1900, prices had increased to 3$ a night, and by 1915, the base price had risen to 4$ a night with upcharges for ensuites or more luxurious rooms and suites.

The Sippican Hotel offered all-inclusive vacations including food, amenities, and activities at the starting price of two dollars a month. Flagship activities included tennis, golf, and free swimming and sailing lessons for tourists who might not spend regular time near the water. These last offerings disturbed local shellfishers, who were roped off from recreational swimming areas. However not all of Marion’s residents were offended by the hotel. Many of them even enjoyed the large “casino” portion of the hotel, which was open to the public. Rather than gambling, a 19th century casino included a family-friendly game room, and other activities for the guests. The Sippican Hotel’s large casino was the center of these activities and included a barber shop, tavern, and evening dances. The hotel became a place of gathering for the Marion community in addition to the hotel guests. Marion resident Cecil Davis famously frequented the hotel, as did other well known figures such as President Grover Cleveland.
In 1916, Ripley sold the hotel to Henry Tiller. By 1929, the Marion tourism industry had stalled. Although specific reasons for the decline are not well documented, the impact of the World War I and the Great Depression are impossible to ignore. Starlets who had occupied the hotel in years past were no longer able to afford the steep prices and New Deal improvements to roads and infrastructure led the ultra-wealthy to more exotic places such as Cape Cod. Though the town remained relatively well off, the tourism and star factor of Marion had worn off, turning Marion into the cozy community that it is today. At this time Tiller sold the property to a Boston businessman who planned to partially demolish the hotel and use the rest as a tavern.
A group of prominent Marion residents such as Cecil Clark Davis and Fred. H. Bennet, as well as other town benefactors, many of whom were women, invested in the hotel through a trust . Unfortunately, his effort failed to recapture the hotel’s former glory and each investor ended up losing a significant amount of money. This ended up being the final factor in the demise in Marion as a town, true admirers of the town had been let down by its more economical pursuits, and this rejection continued to echo throughout the 20th century in Marion. Despite the end of a so-called Golden Age, many town residents continue to revel in the quaint New England Town.
By 1929, the Marion tourism industry had stalled. Although the reasons for the decline of the Golden age of Marion were not well documented, the impact of the Great Depression is impossible to ignore. The arrival of the Marconi Wireless Station changed the skyline of Marion, which may have impacted its reputation.
New Deal improvements to roads and infrastructure led the ultra-wealthy to more exotic places such as Cape Cod. Though the town remained relatively well off, the tourism and star factor of Marion had worn off, turning Marion into the cozy community that it is today. At this time Tiller sold the property to a Boston businessman who planned to partially demolish the hotel and use the rest as a tavern. A group of prominent Marion residents such as Cecil Clark Davis and Fred. H. Bennet, as well as other town benefactors, many of whom were women, invested in the hotel through a trust . Unfortunately, his effort failed to recapture the hotel’s former glory and each investor ended up losing a significant amount of money. This ended up being the final factor in the demise in Marion as a town, true admirers of the town had been let down by its more economical pursuits, and this rejection continued to echo throughout the 20th century in Marion. Despite the end of a so-called Golden Age, many town residents continue to revel in the quaint New England Town.

With direct routes to Boston, Newport, and Providence from Marion, train travel helped increase the hotel’s popularity. During the late 19th century a train ticket from Boston cost around $2 per person and took nearly eight hours one way. Trains ran to Marion five times per day. There was also a members only dude train established by wealthy summer residents with a 100$ membership fee as of 1916. Business men could easily send their wives and families to Marion for the summer while they remained working in the cities during the week. Town activities focused on its female summer residents, much to others’ dismay. The building of these train lines created a rift between summer residents and townies, but was nothing compared to the debate over trolley construction.
In 1900, a trolley was installed that connected Marion to local towns such as Mattapoisett and New Bedford. Prior to the installation a meeting was held where summer and year round residents joined forces to oppose the trolley, wanting to keep Marion quaint. Although many summer residents initially opposed this idea, once the trolley was implemented it was used by many vacationers to get around the South Coast area. A trolley trip to New Bedford cost around 15¢ while a trip to Mattapoisett was just 5¢.However, trains were a sticking point for Marion residents who didn’t approve of how Marion was becoming a tourist destination.
In 1931 the hotel was scheduled for demolition, although rumors about a covenant insurance fire have spread in years since, they appear to be nothing but talk. Although it may simply be a beautiful private residence now, the site of the Sippican Hotel was once the epicenter of the rich and famous Marion summer community and the encapsulation of Marion’s Golden Age. To learn more about the Sippican Hotel check out our past exhibits.
Or explore for yourself in our online archives.
Written by Catherine Sylvia-Everett, 2026 Rosbe Education Fund Intern


